Gloucestershire County Council has brought forward the next stage of construction of the West Cheltenham Transport Improvement Scheme (WCTIS) which includes £1.6million of walking and cycling improvements, with work starting in January 2021.
Work along the A40, at Telstar Way and on Benhall roundabout in Cheltenham will start before the end of the Arle Court roundabout phase of improvements are complete, making use of quieter roads and bringing a continuous cycle connection to Cheltenham as soon as possible.
The West Cheltenham Transport Improvement Scheme is split into several parts. The first part involves Arle Court Roundabout and roads leading to it, adding a lane to the roundabout and improving the A40 underpass. Construction started in summer 2020 and is progressing well, currently on target to be completed by summer 2021.
The second part includes the A40 east of Arle Court Roundabout towards Cheltenham Spa Railway Station. Investment of £1.6million in continuous off road cycle facilities between Arle Court and Lansdown Rail Bridge will establish a key part of the cycle network planned between Cheltenham and Gloucester. This will be complemented by a quiet road cycle link from Princess Elizabeth Way through St Mark’s to Cheltenham Spa Railway Station.
Other work in this second part includes:
- Junction improvements at two key junctions on the A40 at Telstar Way and Gloucester Road
- Arle Court to Gloucester Road/Lansdown Road junction eastbound carriageway improvements (towards Cheltenham town centre)
- An extra lane around Benhall Roundabout with wider approaches and exits
The £22million of funding for this transport scheme has come via GFirst LEP, Gloucestershire’s Local Enterprise Partnership. The transport scheme will improve traffic flow, public transport, and active travel options. The work also contributes to long term plans for the area, opening up employment land as part of the Joint Core Strategy, which includes the proposed Cyber Park and Cyber Innovation Centre.
Cllr Nigel Moor, cabinet member for planning and environment, said: “I’m pleased to see work on transport improvements are progressing so well. This scheme will improve travel for all; connecting routes for pedestrians and cyclists as well as better journey times for public transport. Vehicle’s contribute over 30 per cent of Gloucestershire’s total carbon emissions and by building good routes for cyclists we hope it will help encourage people to get out of their cars and on their bikes.”
David Owen, CEO GFirst LEP said: “In these challenging times, it’s really positive seeing how the work on this project has progressed so well over the past 12 months. It is a hugely important project for us and indeed for the county. Supporting sustainable and active travel is at the heart of this scheme, and I’m excited for the future transport options this scheme unlocks. Our draft Local Industrial Strategy highlighted our desire to support more cycling and walking initiatives and this investment confirms that commitment.”
The county council has appointed two contractors to complete the scheme – Knights Brown and Alun Griffiths.
There will be a meet the contractor event in February, which will be hosted as a virtual event due to Covid-19 social distancing restrictions. More details will be announced soon. You can submit questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more online at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/WCTIS where you can sign up to receive email updates about this scheme.
Planned Road Closures – January 2021
We understand that these works may cause disruption. Our aim, as always, is to complete the work as quickly and safely as possible.
- 12 January – from Tuesday night, traffic management will be installed on the Telstar Way junction with the A40. This will include implementing ‘No Right Turn’ into Telstar Way from the A40.
- 14 and 15 Jan – A40 eastbound between Arle Court roundabout and Benhall roundabout will be closed overnight
Week Commencing 18 January:
- Mon 18 – Thur 21 – A40 eastbound between Arle Court and Benhall roundabout will be closed for four nights
- Fri 22 – A40 westbound between Benhall and Arle Court roundabout will be closed for one night
Week commencing 25 January:
- Mon 25 – Wed 27 Jan inclusive – A40 westbound between Benhall and Arle Court roundabout will be closed overnight
- Thur 28 and Fri 29 Jan – A40 eastbound from M5 Junction 11 to Arle Court roundabout will be closed overnight to remove barriers
Please remember there is a speed limit of 40mph on the Golden Valley Bypass at the moment. This is to keep crews safe who are working in the central reservation.